Internet-Based security cameras. also known as IP cameras, are great tools used by many home owners to check if the pets are okay or if an elderly parent needs help. However in the light of recent events, such as the Russian web site that hacked over 70,000 CCTV cameras worldwide, you have to wonder if you’re the only one watching your kids.
So how do you protect yourself against intruders? Here are a few steps you can take:
- Change the default username and password. It’s simple and only takes a few minutes. Unfortunately, many people never change their login information.
- Enable firewall in your router/modem.
- Avoid wireless / WiFi video transmission and go the wired route if possible.
- Avoid putting cameras in sensitive areas like your bathroom or bedroom.
- Encrypt the video stream. Encryption may be too complicated for the average home user, but is strongly recommended for businesses.
So in a nutshell, webcam technology is a great and cost effective tool when installed and configured properly, but use with caution.